STATE OFFICE FOR STANDARDISATION
According to Article 10 Item 3 of the Standardization Act (“Narodne novine No. 55/96), Director of the State Office for Standardization and Metrology has issued these.
Rules of procedure for the establishment and work of technical committees
I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
These Rules of Procedure shall provide for the following:
- manner of establishment of technical committees (hereinafter: TCs) at the State Office for Standardization and Metrology (hereinafter: the State Office)
- manner of work of the TCs
- competences and responsibilities of TCs, their chairmen and technical secretaries with respect to the operation and management of TCs.
TCs are the expert working bodies of the Director of the State Office which have their chairmen, technical secretaries and members.
Members of TCs are renowned experts — representatives of the interested legal entities, relevant administrative bodies, chambers of trade and commerce, various interested institutions and other legal persons. Participation in the work of a TC is voluntary.
II. ESTABLISHMENT OF TCs
TCs shall be established to prepare proposals of Croatian standards in specific expert fields depending on the needs of the Croatian economy and social sector.
Through the establishment of TC s the influence of all the interested parties and the expert community on the adoption and issuance of the Croatian standards is ensured.
Establishment of a TC may proposed by the interested legal entities in economy, by administrative bodies, by chambers of trades and commerce, by the interested institutions and other legal persons. The proposal may be made by programming committees and the already established TCs as well. The proposal for establishment of a TC together with an explanation shall be submitted to the State Office.
Director of the State Office shall decide about the establishment of a TC.
The decision on establishment of a TC contains:
- TC title and designation
- TC scope and working field
- indication of the corresponding international and European standardization institutions whose activities the TC shall monitor.
Invitation for participation in the work of a TC shall be published in the State Office bulletin. An invitation may be sent directly to relevant legal entities, chambers of trade and commerce, administrative bodies and institutions.
The invitation mentioned in Item 1 of this Article comprises:
- title, designation and the working field of a TC,
- 30-day time limit for application.
Together with the application for work of their representative in a TC the interested legal entities, administrative bodies, chambers of trade and commerce, institutions and other legal persons shall provide their agreement to cover all expenses of his or her work in a TC and to provide other conditions necessary for his or her regular and active participation in the TC activities.
The technical secretary shall prepare the procedure of establishing a TC. On the basis of the received application the technical secretary shall prepare the list of TC members taking into consideration their expertise as well as an equal representation of interests of manufacturers, consumers, professional associations, educational and scientific institutions as well as administrative bodies. A TC may have a minimum of three and a maximum of fifteen members.
Director of the State Office shall make decision about the appointment of the TC chairman, technical secretary and members. The TC technical secretary is an employee of the State Office. The decision of the Director of the State Office comprises:
- TC designation and title, scope and field of work, and an indication of the corresponding international and European standardization organizations whose scope is covered by the proposed TC,
- name and surname of the TC chairman and technical secretary
- names and surnames of the TC members,
- brief description of duties and responsibilities of the appointed.
Director of the State Office may take decisions to discontinue membership in a TC in the following cases:
- upon request of legal entities, administrative bodies, or chambers of trade and commerce who proposed their representatives for work in a TC,
- if the proposed representative is unable to actively participate in the work of the TC,
- upon request of the TC member himself,
- if a TC member fails to be present at the meetings three times in a row and if he does not participate in the TC work in any other way.
The decision about the discontinuation of membership of a TC member shall also be forwarded to the legal entity, administrative body, and chamber of trade or commerce or to the institution which proposed a particular member. The information about the establishment of a TC, about its members and about the discontinuation of membership shall be published in the State Office bulletin.
III. WORKING PROCEDURES OF TCs
The work of a TC shall be public and its documents accessible to all interested parties.
TC decisions shall be made with a two-third majority of votes of all members.
The public shall be informed about the TC activities through the State Office bulletin.
For activities in certain narrow fields of the TC scope of work it is possible to establish technical subcommittees and working groups. Chairman of a subcommittee may be a TC member. Leader of a working group may be a member of a technical subcommittee and/or TC.
For counseling in certain areas of standardization and for policy co-ordination the programming committees shall be established as the consulting bodies to the Director of the State Office. The programming committees shall prepare programs of standardization in their expert fields and work on their updating at least once a year.
Members of the programming committees are experts in the relevant standardization fields and are familiar with the needs and interests of standardization in that field; However, they are not responsible for the development of standards. Presidents of TCs in the relevant field may be members of corresponding programming committees.
IV. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TC PRESIDENT, TECHNICAL SECRETARY AND MEMBERS
TCs prepare annual programs of work in which they determine the scope of their work, the deadlines, and the persons in charge of each activity. The TC programs of work represent an elaboration of the annual and mid-term standardization programs of the State Office.
The tasks of the TCs shall be:
- to prepare proposals of the plan and program of the development of Croatian standards and to propose corrections and amendments of the existing Croatian standards
- to prepare and consider proposals for issuing of the Croatian standards and to give their opinion on the justification of such proposals
- to prepare proposals for taking over and adoption of the international and European standards as well as the standards of other countries (hereinafter: other national standards)
- to prepare preliminary drafts of Croatian standards, to adopt draft standards and to put them for public inquiry and discussion
- to consider comments, remarks and proposals obtained during public inquiry and to determine the final text of the Croatian standards
- to give proposal to the Director of the State Office regarding issuance of Croatian standards
- depending on the need to establish subcommittees and working groups for resolving certain expert issues
- to cooperate with the programming committee, other TCs and other consulting bodies established within the State Office
- to monitor work and standards developing process in the corresponding international and European TCs, Scs and Wgs
- to prepare and communicate expert opinions to the relevant international and European standardization organizations with regard to the development of new standards from the TCs scope of work
- To prepare proposals for the Director of the State Office for appointing representatives in the expert bodies of the international and European standardization organizations.
The duties of the TC chairman shall be:
- to prepare proposal for the program of work of the TC
- to cooperate with the technical secretary in the preparation of the programs of work
- to prepare proposal of the agenda in cooperation with the technical secretary
- to be professionally responsible for the work of the TC and for the realization of its program of work
- to take part in the preparation of working documents
- to chair the TC sessions
- to prepare opinions on the international and European documents from the TCs scope of work
The duties of the technical secretary shall be:
- to carry out organizational-technical functions necessary for the undisturbed work of the TC
- to cooperate with the TC chairman in preparing the program of development of Croatian norms from the TC s scope of work
- to prepare working materials for the TC meetings
- to organize work at the TC meetings
- to compose minutes of the TC meetings
- to keep track of the results of the public inquiry and discussion on the draft standards from the TC scope of work
- to run all the administrative work related to the TC activity.
Exceptionally, administrative tasks may be entrusted to the interested legal entities, institutions or natural persons-TC members not employed in the State Office.